How to pay bond for someone detained by ICE

You can pay the bond for someone detained by ICE at your local ICE Field Office. The bond office in New York City is located at 26 Federal Plaza, Room 9-110, 9th floor New York, NY 10278, Tel: (212) 264-4213

There are TWO ways of paying/posting bond for a friend or relative detained by ICE.


  1. Certified bank check or money order, payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
  2. You need to know the exact bond amount
  3. Money orders are only accepted for a bond up to $10,000
  4. When you go to the bond office at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, you will need to bring:
    • the detainee’s full name, date of birth and the address (including the phone number) to which he or she will be released
    • the detainee’s alien registration / case number (also known as “A” number)
    • the country of birth of the detainee
    • proof of either your U.S. citizenship (passport, naturalization certificate or U.S. birth certificate) or lawful permanent resident status (green card)
    • a picture ID (If you only have a US passport you need to bring a proof of address. Do NOT bring something that states a post office box, as you will be turned away!)
    • Your social security or tax ID number (to be safe you might want to bring your SS card; California, for example, requires you show your card)
    • the name and address of the detention center where the detainee is being held
    • the name and telephone number of the person that will pick up your relative or friend from jail

After you pay, make sure to hold on to the documents that ICE gives you; you will need them to get your money back once the case is over. You must also update your address with ICE if you move.

Opening hours

The bond office in New York City is open on Mondays through Fridays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. and closed on holidays. Be aware that they are unlikely complete your paperwork if you arrive after 2 pm. If you want to pay bond for someone who has been detained in another state, please call your local field office and ask whether additional information is required.

It may take several hours for them to process your paperwork, and very few officers speak a language other than English. If you are unable to speak and write in English you will want to bring someone who can help you translate.


The bondsman posts the full amount of the bond in exchange for payment of a percentage of the bond. Each bail company has different requirements to post bond, and most of them require either real property (for example a house) or a credit card for collateral. You must contact them directly to ask them their exact policy based on the case’s specific circumstances.

If you require additional information about posting bond, contact the lawyer on the case.